Friday, March 11, 2011

Book Done, Now What?

It's been a few days now since I finished the first draft of my latest novel, Rytis Maxwell and the Wer-Pigeons of Ottawa. I'm glad to have it done, but I also feel kind of adrift. I'm into that dreaded period between novels, when I don't quite know what to do with myself. Longtime readers of this blog will remember me saying similar things at the conclusion of other projects.

What should my next project be? Something light and funny, or dark and serious? Or dark and funny?

Should I go for a first person POV, like I did with Evil?, or third person, as I did with the upcoming Cupid War?

What do I want to write? What topic is drawing me in? What kind of characters, plots, settings do I want in my next book? I've still got plenty to say about religion, metaphysics, bullies, abuse of power, and the supernatural. Just to name a few.

I hope I come up with something soon. I need something fun to do at work. Doing surveys over and over loses its appeal very quickly, but having a project to work on really helps pass the time in-between calls.

Until I find a great story idea, I'm going to be booored.

No comments: